Short Story Competition 2016–NOW CLOSED
- The second Black Pear Press (BPP) Short Story Competition is now open
- Closing date Monday 1 August 2016
- Send us your short story maximum 1500 words
- Entry fee: £5 per story
- For rules see below
- Judges: Authors Rod Griffiths and Tony Judge, and novelist, award winning short story writer and Kindle bestseller Alison May
We’re looking for short stories of 1500 words or fewer to be submitted to us before Monday 1 August 2016.
Long listed finalists’ and other selected short stories will be included in an anthology to be published later in 2016.
The anthology title will be the title of the winning short story, if it: 1) fits on the cover and 2) is acceptable to the judges.
- Closing date is Monday 1 August 2016.
- The maximum word limit is 1500, not including the title (no minimum).
- Authors may submit as many stories as they wish.
- Submitted pieces must not have been published elsewhere, must be the entrant’s own original work and available, if selected, to be published in the anthology.
- Translations of anyone else’s work are not eligible. Copyright remains with the writer.
- Entries may be published on the BPP website and may be included in an anthology.
- Entries must be in English.
- Submit entries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The subject line of the e-mail must read: BPP Short Story.
- Entries should be attached as a Word or an RTF document. Give your name and contact details in the body of the email, as well as the title and word count of your submission(s) and a circa 50 word profile of the writer in the third person. If you are paying by PayPal, your receipt no/transaction code should be included. Do not put your name or email address on the entry itself. Entries should be single spaced, in a clear font, 12pt.
- The winners and runners-up will be announced on the BPP website and on the BPP Facebook page.
- There is no theme. All styles and genres are welcome.
- No correspondence will be entered into regarding the outcome of this competition.
Entry into the competition is taken to be acceptance of these rules.
All entries will be judged anonymously.
Results announced 30 October 2016.
First prize: £75
Second prize: copies of two BPP publications
Please note that entries sent without the entry fee will not be considered and stories should be submitted only once.
All entries will be acknowledged within 48 hours of receipt of your payment. If you have not heard from us within a week please contact us. It is your responsibility to confirm your entry has been received.
No alterations can be made after receipt, nor fees refunded. The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence can be entered into. No entrant may win more than one prize.
Due to the anticipated number of submissions, we cannot accept any that do not follow submissions guidelines and rules.
Enquiries may be forwarded to email@example.com
You may wish to see the first winning short story in the Black Pear Press Short Story Anthology, Seaglass, available direct from the publishers via PayPal: